Sunday, February 5, 2017

Controlling NeoPixels with a Webserver on an ESP8266

Esp 8266 NeoPixel Webserver

Intro

I always wanted one of those fancy LED stripes that you can control with your mobile or tablet. Should be easy to install, lightweight and customiseable.
Well, my brother-in-law is fascinated of this topic as I am. And Christmas was at our doorstep. So what better to do than try to build him a DIY-light.
Well getting started with it was quite frustrating. And it took me quite a while to figure out how it is done since this was my fist contact with the ESP8266.
After I posted a video of the result on FB, I was getting many requests for a manual to this.

Shopping List

Before soldering it to a PCB, I prototyped it on a breadboard. Here is everything you'll need.

  • 2x Breadboard 400 Pins
  • Logic Level Shifter (3V to 5V)
  • NodeMCU Esp8266
  • Breadboard Power supply
  • Jumper Wire
  • Neopixel (W2812b) Stripe

HowTo Video

Here is a step-by-step video how it is made.


Code

Posted the Code on Bitbucket (it's like Github). There you can find the source code and wiring.
https://bitbucket.org/Remnis/neopixelwebserver

Advice

The level shifter might not be necessary. The NeoPixel stripe could also work with 3.3 V on the command line. But it would be best if the difference between supply voltage and command voltage would not be so high.
And be aware not to power a whole NeoPixel stripe from your controller. On other Projects I blew up two Arduino Nano. 


No comments:

Post a Comment